Saturday, April 2, 2011

Writing Schedule

Writing has been going damn well, which pleases me greatly. The secret to this month's success? Sitting down and just doing it. Finally.

My three current projects are The Novel, Blood Surrogate (not the actual title), and another one called Accords. The Novel is the one that I need to dedicate a month to rewriting, which is going to be fun and torturous and which I've been putting off since Fall. Blood Surrogate I'm currently working on, trying a different method of writing. Instead of going from beginning to end like I normally do I'm trying to write the parts as they come to me. The beginning is done (and needs to be rewritten), and the end is almost complete. Next up- the middle and blog posts from my character, which will be interesting. Lots of good scenes roaming around in my head but first I need to finish the end. My process for this one is to get a scene out completely before moving on to the next part, whatever that might be. The Accords is a story I started a while back, got distracted from and then came back to to find that it's not so bad. The storyline is completely mapped out in my head but the part holding me back is the politics. I have a Council style situation with lots of politics and backstabbing. I 100% have to work out the rules of engagement before I get to that section. There will be no flubbing over it and coming back to it later.

I did something I never do and let my good friend and editor Bridget Locke take a look at Accords in the hopes that she'd have some fresh ideas about Council law that I might have overlooked. Instead, she sent me a message saying FINISH THIS NOW! That's how much she liked it. (: Such a great compliment, it means a lot to me for her to have felt that way about the story. I love my stories, even the ones that are terribly written, but to have someone else love them too made me very very happy.

So setting myself goals and sticking with them, despite this being my birthday month which means I can count one weekend of unproductiveness:

-Finish up the end of Blood Surrogate, get at least two parts of the middle written and start on the main char's blog.
-Accords; get it out and figure out if the political map you've made is going to work or will need to be redone in the editing process.
-Figure out what month you want to dedicate to The Novel and do it. Do it do it do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment